Monday, April 6, 2009

Internet Safety Readings

The fourth article I chose to read was titled "An Ensign to the Nations, a Light to the World" by President Gordon B. Hinckley.

The most important things I learned from this reading directly related to the role the Gospel plays in warding off evil, especially in the form of media. President Hinckley constantly admonishes the youth to protest any form of evil, no matter how it presents itself in the world. He further states that as a Church, we must band together to battle such evils that we may see on the television, the Internet, in music and the like. We must abstain from such and openly protest it in the most disciple-like manner.

In relation to my role as a future parent or as a teacher of young children I now understand the importance of speaking to children about the dancers of the Internet as well as the wonderful capabilities and knowledge it holds if it is used properly. Furthermore, children must understand that precautions must be taken to avoid the presence of obscene material and that these bans or restrictions are for their benefit and protection.

I can use this knowledge I have gained to reinforce not only my behavior with the media, but also help strengthen what my family chooses to do. I can participate in family discussions about what uplifting shows I have seen, what websites I have found that have aided in my education, as well as what music may bring the Spirit more directly into the home. For the most part, my family has always been rather careful in the usage of the Internet and we are very open about what we may find and what may need to be banned on our computer. In relation to my friends, I may be an example to them of someone who avoids any potentially harmful or spiritually damaging material.

No comments:

Post a Comment